Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Why did the tomato blush? -Because he saw the salad dessing

Today is my first official day as a pledged vegan, today was also the first day i have ever said no when being offered a cheeto...
It was a sad momment indeed.

Yesturday was the end of my safety net, the last day to ONLY avoid meat, and the begining of avoiding well, basicly every food group.
I started my monday morning off with grocery shopping with my mom to begin this vegan life style for the duration of this week, and it was the most frustrating experience. Turns out nearly everything I eat has the ingredients of animal or animal products, and even "I cant believe its not butter" has dairy products in it, the same as butter? After an hour still at the store I was left roaming the isel ways, I went from canned goods, to chips, to frozen food, and continued pushing my cart full of barely anything. I was also shocked to find how much more the cost of vegan choice food is. Luckily however, I did find a few things which made feel excited yet fearful to try. Reflecting on my trip in search of vegan approved meals and snacks I have learned that its good to try something different regaurdless of your prejudgments, because who knows maybe you'll discover you like the substitute, I did.
Tonight i made an all vegan meal for my mom and I, and it was pretty darn good if I do say so myself. I made: vegan burgers with vegan bread and Vegenaise as a mayo substitute, with your regulare ketchup and mustard toped with vegan cheese melted on top; fresh steamed brocoli sprinkled with sea salt; and vegetarian baked beans; and a balsomic salad with dried cranberries and choped almonds to top it all off.
Vegan or not, it was a very healthy and scrumsious choice for a meal.
Also its been super helpful for all the people posting and giving me advise and help to stick to my plan, its thanks to people like them that have supported me that I am proud to say I have not broken. So to all of you i would like to say thank you:)

6 comments:

  1. Becoming a Vegan is a big commitment and it seems like even though it's difficult in terms of cost and effort, you have a very postive, laid-back attitude about it! And I really admire that!
    (Btw, the cute jokes are really fun.)
    Keep up the great work! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you:)! I really i try with the jokes haha except i actually i think they are funny:)

      Delete
  2. Youre handling the vegan transition very well, it seems like it would be a really dramatic change from eating meat a little over a week ago. Resist the temptation, do this for the people who would give in to the first burger they saw. Also, how different are vegan substitutes from the regular meat products?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you im trying but this end of the week is killing me because it seems like oh one day wont matter, but tomorrow is the last day. But yeah the substitutes are pretty good like the sub. for butter and mayo, and milk, they all are equally as good to the real thing to me.

      Delete
  3. Yeah, the transition from Vegetarian to Vegan can be a sort of a big leap, even if it doesn't seem like one.
    I mean, for starters, like you mentioned, you've cut out a lot of the major food groups, which makes it harder to eat regular, every day meals that you're used to. You pretty much have to clear out your entire food pantry and restock it with *shudders* Vegan food. (Not that Veganism is a bad thing, I just like my meat.)
    And, c'mon, the prices for uber healthy food are INSANE. I bet your mom is just LOVING that.
    Also, your pictures make me laugh. :D
    And I am SO taking you up on Thursday's lunch offer. I've just got to remember that now XD.
    You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete