
I started my adventure of being a vegetarian this weekend on Saturday feb.9, and I have come to find that just in the few days it has been, it is and will continue to be a tremendous challenge for me. I find myself having to keep reminding my stomach I’m a vegetarian and my options of food have shrunk significantly. It sure doesn’t help when my mother asks if I want a burger for dinner from in n' out, because I can’t, but can only reluctantly reply no mom I’m a vegetarian remember? As I’m not the only person that keeps forgetting my new found dieting habits and limitations. I can barely picture next week, were I can no longer fall back on my favorite foods where meat is lacking. I will desperately miss mac n' cheese, cereal, and even butter for my morning toast. However I have been doing some research on where all my favorite products and food come from, leaving me with strength to resist the temptations with my new acquired knowledge. The information I have found has left me shocked and horrified that any person could treat animals in the way that they do just to make a product and profit from them. It would disgust people to hear of kittens and puppies being bred in crates where they cannot stand or even turn around in just to be killed after there of no use, or that their meat is all that’s needed, in which case that would be their use. Why it that cows and pigs aren’t held to the same equality as those of our household pets that we name and love, don’t farm animals deserve the same? Who are humans to deem what animal deserves rights and to be protected, and those to be ignored and shown a blind eye too. Humans have this sense of entitlement of the world, that we are somehow superior beings and that everything belongs to us, but reality nothing does. With my new prospective, my eating habits seem rather small in the grand scheme of things, but hopefully I can help make a change within my two week challenge and maybe even after. I believe we are as equal to grass that is grown and as equal to the animals that roam it.
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. - Gandhi, Indian spiritual leader
Wow. Your speech makes ME want to become a vegetarian now. All those poor animals...
ReplyDeleteI remember I went vegetarian oncefor a month last year - and it was AWFUL. All my mom cooked was meat, meat, and more meat. (At least that's what it seemed like to me.)
One of my friend's who went vegetarian as well sort of caved when she was offered a chance to eat at In N Out. I'm glad that you have more resistance than her when it comes to that. :P I know I would've taken it.
Keep up the good work!